Catholic communities of Sisters devoted to caring for the sick were instrumental in developing the hospital system in America. One or more hospitals in every major city in the U.S. can trace its heritage to the efforts of Catholic Sisters.
The Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady began in 1854 when seven autonomous groups of Franciscan Sisters in France banded together and were named the Franciscan Sisters of Calais.
These Sisters soon expanded into Europe, Asia, and North and South America. The United States group, organized and operating solely in Louisiana, began in 1911 when six Franciscan Sisters brought their healing ministry to Louisiana. In 1913, the St. Francis Sanitarium opened in Monroe.
In 1921, the Franciscan Sisters began plans for a presence in Baton Rouge, and then opened Our Lady of the Lake Sanitarium in 1923.
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Lafayette was opened in 1949.
St Elizabeth Hospital began as a subsidiary of Our Lady of the Lake in 2000. Today, the hospital operates as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the health system.
In March on 2014, the Health System assumed the management and operations of the 98-bed LSU Bogalusa Medical Center, renaming the hospital as Our Lady of the Angels.
Today, the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady remains strongly committed to its ministry of health and spiritual wholeness, serving all of God's people through their ministry of healthcare.
To read more about the Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady, please visit their website at www.fmolsisters.com.