The Heart & Vascular Institute opened with 141 licensed beds with all-private patient rooms, including the intensive care rooms. All ICU rooms also offer sleeping accommodations for family members Designed in partnership with physicians, nurses and other clinical team members, the new facility also features a universal patient floor, which is an evidenced-based care model that maintains the care continuum in one location so that patients stay in the same room throughout their healing process. Six operating suites and four catheterization labs offer the most sophisticated cardiac diagnostic imaging equipment and the latest technology for surgical and minimally invasive procedures.
The design of the 9-story, 330,000 square foot Heart & Vascular Institute is based on national best practices and encourages innovation with evidenced based models to provide the highest levels of patient quality and safety in a healing and comforting environment.Achieving High Patient Experience and Quality Results
The surgical and inpatient teams in the Heart & Vascular Institute continue to earn high scores for healthcare quality metrics and patient satisfaction and are leading the organization for this quality indicator based on patient experience in the hospital. The Institute also achieved 100 percent in quality measures for the treatment of heart failure – raising the Institute to above the national average in this important ranking of care excellence.
The design of the intensive care units in the Heart & Vascular Institute was recently named the best in the country by the Society of Critical Care Medicine. The 2015 ICU Design Citation Award recognizes the patient- and family-focused elements incorporated into the design of the 60-bed intensive care unit.
Providing a Premier Experience
Dedicated to Heart, Vascular and Critical Care
- Natural light and large windows
- Beautiful spaces
- Compassionate care
- Faster healing and recovery
- World class physicians and specialists
- Specialized cardiovascular equipment and technology
- Advanced designs for improved teamwork
- Improved patient safety and quality
- Better patient outcomes
Evidence Based Design for Safety & Quality
- 9 patient floors
- 330,000 square feet
- 6 state-of-the-art operating rooms
- Cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology labs
- Critical care units
- Cardiovascular patient care rooms
- Patient Rooms - 141 rooms all designed to enhance patient care
- Universal Patient Rooms - facilitates all levels of treatment in one room, which promotes faster healing and higher levels of safety and comfort for patients and guests
- Education and Entertainment System - the GetWellNetwork is a full-service television and entertainment system that provides educational tutorials and videos related to patient care
- Family Features - sofas and recliners in patient rooms selected by family members, patients and nurses for ultimate comfort, cleanliness and design
- Bathrooms - specifically designed closer to beds for easy access and safety
Intensive Care Rooms
- The standard and hybrid operating rooms give our world-class surgeons access to the most advanced technology to perform sophisticated procedures, from minimally invasive to the most complex.
- Our Lady of the Lake performs more than 4,500 cardiovascular procedures each year, and the Institute facilitates our team of physicians and team members’ continual innovation and best practice patterns for patients.
- All operating and procedure rooms are equipped with specific equipment and imaging for cardiovascular care.
Leadership & Awards
- Intensive care rooms are equipped with the latest technology, giving caregivers 360-degree access to the patient’s bed.
- Larger space allows one guest to stay overnight.
- There are cameras in all of our ICU rooms that enable mobile monitoring.
Cycle IV Chest Pain Center Accreditation
American Heart Association’s My Heart, My Life Program
Platinum Performance Achievement Award
Our Lady of the Lake first in state to perform Lariat procedure for Atrial Fibrillation
Performing off bypass heart procedures
In partnership with the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, Our Lady of the Lake is committed to the health of our community and preventing heart disease. The "My Heart, My Life" program is a resource for patients, guests, team members, and the community that offers onsite walking paths, teaching gardens, a heart walk, and other healthy initiatives.